Monday, August 24, 2009

QTip: Knowing When to Get Rid of Your Old Belt

This QTip comes after my own realization that I have had the same brown Kenneth Cole Belt for at least 8 years, and while that is commendable that I haven't gained any inches around my waist, it doesn't make it cool. I haven't been one to wear belts on a regular basis, and when I do, I have never been too interested in quality, until now! About a month ago, I noticed that my favorite pair of chinos (which came from the Gap by the way.. and they don't sell this style anymore) had a brown ring around the waist. I thought three things: 1. I have a crazy dirty waist and there has to be a prescription for that, or 2. My belt's buckle is rusted and is bleeding onto my pants, or 3. I wore something red or brown that bled onto my pants.

Since I couldn't wear that pair of chinos again even though I wanted to (they hit the top of my gucci loafers so perfectly.. pouring out a little drink for them right now), I had to buy another pair of chinos to replace them... Only to discover on Friday that these had the same ring around my waist! I shower in the morning, and I wore a white shirt, so its not like my dirt or the color of my shirt was making an effect on the chinos... Long story short, it was the leather rubbing off onto the waistline!

No one can afford to damage their basic articles of clothing to an old belt. I immediately went into my closet, grabbed the belt by the neck, stomped on it and threw it in the trash! So now I'm on my search for a new belt.. Here is my list of things to look for:

1. Cost - Since I am not big on belts, I don't plan on spending alot of money on one. I'm looking at a maximum cost of $75. Yeah, that leaves out my Ferragamo belt...

2. Simple - A basic, solid belt with a simple buckle. That way, if I need to wear it everyday, I can. If I had a large collection of belts, I wouldn't mind having some interesting styles, but it would be pointless for one of my three belts to have Gucci Print, or studs around it.

3. Color - For men, shoes and belt should definitely match. Make sure you have a Brown belt for your brown shoes, AND a TAN belt for your lighter shoes. Brown belt and tan shoes don't work.

Now that I know what to look for, I can avenge my favorite chinos and make sure this never happens again! I'm giving my belts a 2 year lifespan from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...