Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Glow in the Dark Tour

Sunday was a celebration of Mothers, Graduates, and the Glow in the Dark Tour! My homie from waaay back, and designated concert tour partner Tierra and I went to VA Beach to the concert (mind you, the whole drive there was during a horrible storm). Of course, I had to demonstrate my love for the style of all four acts (Lupe, N.E.R.D. Rihanna, and Kanye) and despite the rain, wore my new Glow in the Dark Dunks for the concert. I almost took it back to the days in high school when we wouldn't walk in the rain in new shoes unless they were covered in plastic bags! Leave me a comment if you remember those days (should only be a memory...don't start doing it again!)


Anyways, as soon as we walk in, bypass the guy checking bags for cameras, and get our seats, Lupe Fiasco took the stage at 6:30 SHARP (the Amphitheater does NOT play when it comes to being prompt). Normally, I advise people not to wear the same color from head to toe, but Lupe's all red outfit, all the way down to his Gourmet Sneakers, was SICK! Lupe killed the stage, despite the microphone difficulties in his first act, performing his hits "Kick Push," "Go Go Gadget Flow", "Daydreamin", "Hip Hop Saved my Life",and "Paris, Tokyo." He didn't do my song (Go Baby), but his show was excellent! At this time, the crowd wasn't full so I couldn't pull the camera out like I wanted to.. I did happen to sneak this pic..






Next to come out was my boy Pharrell and N.E.R.D. RIDICULOUS!!!!! They were full of energy and got the whole crowd up in the air! Fam-Lay came out and "attempted" to perform HIS song.. and forgot the lyrics... uhhh are you serious Fam? You have 2 popular songs, and you forget the lyrics of one of them... BUT, after that incident, N.E.R.D. performed their Spazz song.. and who comes out to Spazz out with them??? None other than another VA Native Chris Brown! He is in the middle.
Of course I am still trying to figure out if he came for 1. to Rep VA with Pharrell, or 2. to support his "friend (yeah right)" Rihanna. I may conclude that it was a bit a both....
So anyways, after singing the song in my head all the way to the concert, they finally let the beat drop, and all I heard was "ALL THE GIRLS STANDING IN THE LINE FOR THE BATHROOM!" LOL I love that song!!


Oh, this is where I inform you that we were in the middle of a Tornado watch, and after N.E.R.D. performed, the crowd looks behind them and there is this HUGE BLACK CLOUD, along with high winds and lightening... great... but did that stop the show?? Not a chance!!

OK, so after that energetic performance, we endure the storm in waiting to Rihanna's stage to get set up. I have to tell you that I was a bit skeptical for her performance, because I thought that it must be a reason she doesn't really perform live (such as, she can't sing live) ... She proved me wrong! First off, let me express how fly I think Rihanna is... her style is crazy! Very modern Asian inspired, which is always hot. Please check out the pics I have of her reflector pants that totally glow in the dark, as well as those boots!!




She didn't sing her new single "Take a Bow" but she did rip "Unfaithful" like her life depended on it (or maybe Chris Breezy's). Since the concert was in the middle of a storm, we were all prepared for when she sang "Umbrella."




She started it with just acoustics, describing it as her favorite song on the album.. her "talk while the acoustic starts and then have the audience sing before the beat drops" was very Beyonce "Irreplaceable" from her tour if you ask me.. but hey, whatever works...
By now, the winds and rain had ended and the sky started clearing up... just in time for Kanye

As I was waiting, I met up wit my boy Julian and his sis Brittani, and saw a huge ill Fashion No-No: I was going to post the pic of the perp, but I decided not to... I don't want this site to exploit the bad decisions people make.. but we WILL talk about it! People, the whole "groupies come in scandalous clothes in 50 degree weather and sit in regular seats" methodology no longer works... so if you want to be a groupie, 1. Log on to Avenue Swank to see what guys like, 2. learn how to dress, 3. act like you aren't really a groupie, and 4. get some VIP passes.. it will make life a lot easier. You probably feel embarrassed too since the girls that were pulled on stage Sunday night all had on jeans and light sweaters... I mean after all it was COLD and RAINING!
So now the lights go out and its time to Glow in the Dark. Tierra and I predicted that his entry would be a remix of Stronger in which you continually hear the bass line and Daft Punk's chorus for the song.


We were absolutely right. Kanye's set was hot (even though they couldn't hang some screens due to the tornado watch), and of course he pours his heart out on stage. This guy, though cocky, performs as if his life depends on it! That's true drive! His shoes though... his SHOES.... AAAAAAAAH!




I wish my camera could have focused better under these lighting conditions...These Nikes looked like a morph between the Bo Jacksons, Huaraches, and some ill custom design that Yeezy thought of. Not to mention they glowed in the dark (so glad I wore the shoes I had on).

Kanye did an excellent job though. Despite the rain and drama with the weather, his show rocked and the whole audience (even the people who had lawn seats and got completely drenched) were full of energy throughout his entire set. This guy even started stepping and party hoppin' to "Flashing Lights"! He had a whole routine and everything! I thought he was going to break down and cry during "Mama" but he didn't and he talked about that situation saying: "I know people don't do it with negative intentions, but I'm OK, and when people text me saying 'I know you are down today since its Mother's Day, I'm like 'How do you know???" That was his deep convo for the night. He ended with "Touch the Sky" (And that hot yellow jacket pictured above).

The radio station apparently gave the show a bad review, saying that he didn't mention VA, nor did he thank the audience for coming... They must have been at the Kanye EAST concert, because:

1. In "Good Life" he says "It feels like VA" and when he got to that part he kind of paused and waited for the audience's reaction...

2. At the end of the concert, he thanked the beautiful audience for coming out and enduring the tornado watch to support the show

For those that have been to the concert, leave a comment and let me know if Chris Brown showed up to your show. For those who may be going to his concert within the coming weeks.. let me know if he does anything differently!

2 comments:

  1. 1) I felt like i was at the concert all over again reading the blog.
    2)NERD had me going CrAzY oh AND Chris Brown came out and was crumpin and what not
    3)Thank Goodness Rihanna wore a differen outfit to your concert...i was not impressed with her outfit on ours...but her teeth were gorgeous.
    4)You know how diddy has that one dance...now I can offically say that Kanye has his own...i will have to imitate it for you -- but he puts his whole heart into it.
    EXCELLENT CONCERT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris Brown must go to all the shows. People.com states:

    "At Rihanna and Kanye West's Hartford, Conn. show, Chris Brown was spotted grooving from the side of the stage and enthusiastically cheering on his girlfriend, "as if he was seeing [her] for the first time," a witness tells us. "

    It's official He's a Stalker! Wants to make sure he's the only one getting up under that umbrella! OKAY!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...